Sitting in the kitchen watching my grandma cook in the kitchen is probably one of the best memories I have of my grandma. I remember one family recipe in particular growing up. It isn’t a huge secret as it was more of an adopted recipe which my grandma learned the original recipe from one of her closest friends. She loved it so much it became a family tradition for our side of the family.
Curried chicken with onion, potatoes, carrots, & tomatoes served over a bed of delicious steamed rice. The flavors are delightful!Every time I think about this recipe I find myself going down memory lane; it is the best! No matter how much I love the original which uses bone in chicken with skin and instead of being cooked in a crock-pot it is cooked on the stove top all day long. As a mother of three I don’t have the time to stand at the stove all day long cooking to make sure it cooks right. In efforts to still carry on the tradition of this dish with my own little family I needed to figure out how to cook it a little easier but still in the same low and slow kind of way to get all of that flavor out. I needed to use the crock-pot!
I figured out how to make it work and produce that same flavor profile that I remember growing up and here’s exactly how I do it.
6 Whole Carrots (washed/peeled)
1-14.5 oz Can Stewed Tomatoes
1-28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
5-6 Medium Sized Potatoes (washed)
2-3 Tbsp Curry Powder (or more if you love curry)
2 tsp Garlic Powder (Optional)
1 Cup Water
2-3 lbs Raw Chicken ( I used chicken tenders, however my grandma always used bone in and skin on chicken so any kind will work fine.)
Salt & Pepper to your taste
2 Cups of Rice (or desired amount)
- Spray your crock-pot with cooking oil or simply grease with oil of choice.
- Peel & cut your onion into quarters; peel & chop carrots; cut potatoes in small pieces then place all of them in bottom of crock-pot.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of curry powder over vegetables.
- Pour in 1 can of tomatoes. (Doesn’t matter which can)
- Add in chicken over top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with the rest of curry powder & add in garlic powder.
- Pour in other can of tomatoes.
- Then add in the cup of water.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is cooked through & vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice cooked according to its own directions when ready to serve.
- Add salt & pepper for taste.