A couple of months ago I started to make my own yogurt from scratch in the crock-pot and have only been perfecting it since may I add. I have since discovered that using Greek yogurt as your beginning starter will make for a smoother and thicker yogurt in the end. I use a vanilla Greek yogurt and it is my opinion that the vanilla gives it less of a tart taste as well. Anyways with all of this homemade yogurt I wanted to add something to my yogurt besides fruit. I needed a granola recipe that was a perfect fit for me and my family, as I just wasn’t finding the right flavor combinations in other granola’s we tried. What better way to get exactly what you want than to make it yourself.
Below I thought I would share my granola recipe with you; we like it maybe you will too. I will mention that we don’t eat this every day as we only have yogurt once in a while when we have it and when we do it is not every single breakfast meal. The granola is sweet with sugar and maple syrup which would be way to much to have every single day for breakfast it is best as a once in a while kind of treat for our family especially my kids. It helps add another flavor note to our homemade yogurt besides the usual, enjoy!
4 Cups Oats
2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil of Choice (I used Olive Oil)
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the oats, salt, cinnamon, & brown sugar.
- Next add in the vanilla, oil, & maple syrup. Mix well.
- Pour mixture onto a large oiled baking sheet, then spread it out flat but even.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes remove from oven and mix around with utensil, spread back out evenly.
- Place back into oven for 10 minutes for a second time.
- Take out of oven when done and set aside to cool completely moving it around while cooling to break it up easier.
- Make sure to keep an eye on it while it is in the oven as some ovens can vary temperature wise. If that is the case turn your oven down a bit taking it out to let the oven cool down a little.
- Once cool place in an air tight container to store or eat right away because it’s that good!
- ( Eat by its self for a sweet treat, add into yogurt, or add into cereal. )