Being able to see the world from someone else’s perspective is something we as people cannot even begin to imagine until we are given the opportunity to do so by seeing it ourselves or even by reading it with our own eyes. When you wake up in the morning and gather yourself its always going to be different from what someone else will do. It can never be the exact same experience as another.
A single day for me is a whole lot different now than what it was a year ago and I am sure it can be different for others as well as our lives are always changing from day to day. As a person who used to have a job to go to work at everyday who now does a different form of work by staying home as a stay at home parent kind of changed my perspective. I no longer have that rush of going to an actual work building sure, however it is kind of the same in some ways. Even though I don’t leave my home or even log in to a computer for a stay at home job I still am doing a job; and at times it is a tough job to do.
5 Things That People Should Know About Being a Stay at Home Parent
- It may not be a traditional job where you clock in and out but it is a job; a hard one at that. I know we’ve all heard it before staying at home as a stay at home parent is a job too but sometimes I feel like it is taken too lightly because it’s just as hard but in different ways. Last year I worked in a kitchen at a school and before that I worked in a hospital cleaning and doing laundry. I have worked many other hard working jobs before those as well and when I compare them all to staying at home with my own kids here’s how it comes out.
* Both require my full undivided attention.
* Both will wear you out and then some.
* Stay at home parents are doing a natural job that usually never ends unless they are given a break occasionally. At most jobs you eventually go home for a break but not for all of them.
* Although unlikely the shit will literally attempt to hit the fan while at home at times especially those of us with small children… and fans! If this happens at a work place I would look for a new job unless you are in that business of course!
- Stay at home parents get the opportunity of being a jack of all trades even if they didn’t plan on it. Staying at home more has allowed me to just expand this ability because being a parent in general gave me all sorts of tasks to accomplish kind of making me and expert at some of the jobs the world has to offer. I am an on call doctor at times; a personal chef always; most days I am a teacher of all sorts of things; & sometimes I even get to try out being an actress… not that I am the greatest or anything. I have worked in all sorts of jobs but none can ever prepare you for a single day at the amusement park of a stay at home parent. There is always something unexpected good and bad.
- It’s a given that a stay at home parent is well home pretty much all of the time and that is just a reward on its own even if it doesn’t feel like it some days. Being able to be home more with your kids gives you that bond or the ability to create a special bond with your kids that you would have otherwise missed. As a mother to three wonderful little boys who are always rambunctious, wild, & sweet it can be hard to grab a moment with each of them on their own well that is if I were working outside the home and really more time with the older boys as I am constantly with the baby most of the time. Before I found that I was feeling disconnected from them at times because of school and work. When we all got home there was a short amount of time together before bed as everyone was wore out most days. Then of course there was the weekends but they didn’t want to spend those at home because they missed going to the grandparents houses so then they weren’t home that much then either. Now that I am home these days I have been able to connect more with them and find that I have more energy when my oldest comes home from school in the afternoons and feel much less sluggish or tired. I have been able to spend more one on one time with both of the older boys and the baby of course. I am loving this so much!
- Being at home more does have its wonders and rewards but sometimes it brings in other feelings relating to stress and sadness. Feelings of hopelessness and sadness are not going to skip over people because of professions or who that person is. It doesn’t matter who you are because things like stress and depression happen to everyone. Here’s the thing you shouldn’t feel any shame in it either! While these feelings can hit anyone at anytime they will effect people who are closed off from other people or who spend a lot of time alone. I know this because I have suffered from a lot of dealings with depression and stress. The depressive feelings tend to happen more when I am not really in contact with other people besides my kids or husband I believe this is because people need to have connections with other people. Even if you are not in a person to person conversation with another person out side of your home and it is just typing on the computer that conversation alone can help out someone dealing with depressive feelings a lot. It can be very easy for someone who is at home as a stay at home parent to close themselves off or even just feel closed off from the rest of the world. This can mess with your mind a bunch and just imagine only being able to have conversations with children for most of your days and possibly yourself. I am lucky enough to be able to get on my computer or my phone and talk to people so that this doesn’t happen to me as much. There are people that don’t have this kind of luxury even if that seems strange and I also count myself lucky to have a husband who is someone who I can talk to because some spouses for others would not do the same. Being home all day long with kids can drive you up a wall believe me and I love those little faces so much but sometimes I just need a break or someone to talk to to help tame those feelings that sometimes creep up. Some days I overcome them with victory and others I do not but even though I fail at overcoming them sometimes I still have some way to connect with someone else. Keep this in your minds before you judge a person who stays home whether they are a stay at home parent or at home for some other reason because the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
- This full time job of staying home all day everyday with our children some of us homeschooling others just home until they can go to school anyways we all work hard and even if we complain a little bit we still do this job. This stay at home gig, job, task; whatever you call it doesn’t pay a darn thing and it never will. We stay home everyday, feed our kids and ourselves everyday, keep up on housework everyday, clean up mess after mess all hours of the day and night, kiss boo boo’s and make little tummies feel better when they don’t feel well at all, we push our bodies to the max and then some more, we stand strong and try our hardest even when it feels like all of our hard work is collapsing around us; this full time job never ends and it may never get easier but we will continue to work this job because without us it just doesn’t work for our families otherwise. It’s what we do.
Thanks for reading my post and checking out my blog! Drop a like below and follow me on social media. Stay tuned for more posts coming soon.